Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
- On Jan. 16, customs brokers will begin receiving messages on entry summaries that are potentially noncompliant for AD/CVD.
- CBP is aiming to address AD/CVD entry summaries that appear to have mitted companion AD or CVD case numbers and/or applied an improper company-specific 10-digit AD/CVD case number.
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Reckitt/Mead Johnson Nutrition voluntarily recalled certain Nutramigen Hypoallergenic Infant Formula Powder products due to possible Cronobacter sakazakii contamination.
- The FDA issued new guidance to help drug manufacturers limit consumers’ and patients’ exposure to unacceptable levels of benzene in certain drug products.
- The guidance provides manufacturers with recommendations for testing and documentation related to reformulation of drug products that use carbomers manufactured with benzene, taking into consideration the various routes of administration and dosage forms of affected drug products.
Department of Justice (DOJ)
- The New Hampshire charity NuDay was sentenced to five years of probation for export offenses.
- The charity violated U.S. export control laws when it sent over 100 shipments of humanitarian goods to Syria.
- The White House published two documents on December 28, 2023 extending current EU Tariff Rate Quota (TRQ) programs:
- Proclamation 10690: Adjusting Imports of Aluminum into the United States
- Proclamation 10691: Adjusting Imports of Steel into the United States
- 2024 EU steel and aluminum quota limits will remain at previous years’ limits.
Department of Commerce
- Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo highlights key 2023 Department accomplishments:
- CHIPS for America funding opportunities
- Substantial conclusion of the Clean Economy and Fair Economy IPEF Pillars
- USPTO Semiconductor Technology Pilot Program
- BIS released a number of further restrictions on Russia for its war against Ukraine
- The American Manufacturers of Multilayered Wood Flooring (AMMWF) filed a broad and comprehensive request for review of Chinese Wood Flooring Producers. In the filing, AMMWF states that they believe the producers sold merchandise at less than fair value during the period of review.
- Final results of the expedited second sunset review of the antidumping duty order: large power transformers from the Republic of Korea.
- Certain paper shopping bags from the Republic of Turkey: preliminary affirmative determination of sales at less than fair value.
Federal Maritime Commission (FMC)
- The Commission amended its regulations governing Carrier Automated Tariffs. The final rule:
- Removes the option for common carriers to charge a fee to access their tariff
- Allows non-vessel-operating common carriers (NVOCCs) to cross-reference certain aspects of other carriers’ terms in their tariffs
- Clarifies the ability for NVOCCs to reflect increases in certain charges
- FMC Chairman Daniel B. Maffei announced the hiring of David Eng to serve as Secretary of the Commission.
- Mr. Eng is a career government attorney who possesses more than 10 years of legal and management experience. He most recently worked as a Branch Chief at the Departmental Appeals Board of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
U.S. Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
- New counter terrorism designations.
Want more customs and international trade news? Sign up for our weekly snapshot!